Sunday, October 12, 2008

Do Yourself A Favor...

...And get to know Sarah Vowell. I heard her on This American Life a few months ago and I liked her. I saw her on The Daily Show just now and I liked her a lot more, and after an extensive internet search that included youtube AND wikipedia, I now think she is my new favorite. My new favorite historian/novelist/radio personality/comedian/social commentator/Pixar voice actor.

First of all, her last name is Vowell and she is a writer! HA! And she writes about American history, most recently about the Puritans from Massachusetts. She collects Abraham Lincoln memorabilia (bookend heads, statues, totem poles), and other historical shit. I'm guessing she reads a lot too, because most people who write about History have to read about History first, in order to write about it with different words the second time around. Otherwise, it wouldn't be History, it would just be lies.

I would like to live in a perfect unapologetic nerdy existence, like she does in her Chelsea apartment, with maps of the Autumnal wind patterns of the U.S. on the wall behind her desk. I would also love to be able to produce something that reflects my general notions, inklings and ponderings... you know, something other than a blog. Oh, and I would loooove to not wait tables anymore, that would be tops.

Here she is:



Great, right?

My sinuses are about to rupture, and that is the only thing keeping me awake right now.

New Mad Men was flippin fantastic, Kath and Kim was the shit--haters to the left, please. I also loved Top Model this week. I swear Tyra is self aware, there no WAY a person like that can continue to behave the way she does day after day and not be in on it.

Also, if you're keeping track, everyone on the TV this week is telling Cubs fans they're fucking retarded, and we're all losing our money for when we get old. Does that mean I'm going to have to wait table when I'm 60? I'll save my apron.

No comments: