Saturday, November 29, 2008

If you could live in a different decade, which would you pick?

This was one of the questions from the Table Topics game that my family played on Thanksgiving. I chose no decade, but I would rather live right now, what with being a woman and all and enjoying my rights and body. However, I think I'm over evaluating this concept. I would pick the 1970s, for the decor and costume. The clothes! The glitz! The glamor! I would have been a stewardess, or television actress, or hairdresser.

But the year is 2008. And I'm a waitress.

Today at work my general manager (big baby-faced Italian 40-something) told one of the Mexicans on the line to buy him a ticket to Cancun for Christmas. And to throw in a lady as well. I yelled down the line that you haven't been able to properly buy a woman since 1954. This sparked a half-baked response about Prostitutes/Sex-Slave Trafficking/Gold Diggers, that began with "Listen to Woman's Lib down there!".

Woman's Lib?!

Maybe I am living in the 1970s.

No comments: